YUSU Petitions & Ideas
This platform is here to help you use your voice to get issues onto the officer team's agenda and enact positive change on our campus. It should help make it eaier for you to tell us about an ideas that you want yusu to focus on. You can do this in two ways.
- Step 1: Decide whether its an Idea or a Petition.
- Step 2: Submit your idea or petition by clicking on post a new idea/petition.
- Step 3: Share it with many people as possible, let them know and get them to vote it up (ideas) or add their signature (petition)
Ideas are requests for change that are simple or uncontentious. Ideas will usually have straight-forward solutions or practical reasons for not being possible. Some ideas will be more suitable for submission into the policy process.
Example: ‘Install another water fountain on the 2nd floor of the Fairhurst’
- Every month, the top 3 Ideas will be discussed by the Union Officers who will decide how to take it forward.
- If it’s a success we’ll let you know the next steps by email, and publish it on the site
- If it’s not, we’ll let you know as well, there may be another way to do it!
Petitions are designed for more transformative change, which may require evidence of popularity.
Example: The University must work with the council to build more affordable housing.
- If you are submitting a petition you’ll need to get 300 signatures for Officer Group to debate it and it will be assigned to a Sabbatical Officer to report on.
YUSU will need to collect information about members (email addresses and names) submitting proposals to this platform in order to provide this service for students. Email addresses will not be published without your consent. By submitting an idea or petition you agree that YUSU may publish your name.
This pilot petitions and ideas platform is open to UoY students and designed to complement YUSU's policy process. It is moderated and submissions will be rejected if they are not suitable for example, if they: are unclear; contain material that could cause distress; put the reputation of the organisation at risk, are defamatory, libellous or contain false statements; are nonsense or a joke or designed to promote a product or service, ask for action that is already being taken forward. The Officer team will tell you why any submissions are rejected if necessary, or suggest other ways your issue could be raised.
Submissions will remain live for 10 weeks.
If you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org