Law Society (LawSoc)
Welcome to the University of York Law Society 2018/19!
National winner of LawCareers.Net’s Best Law Society for Non-Law Students in 2016/17 and 2017/18. Finalist in the National Employability Awards for Best Society 2017/18.
As one of the most prestigious societies on campus, we are proud to present our members with an unparalleled mixture of careers and social events. Membership is open to anyone, in any degree discipline! All you need is an interest in the law.
This year we are excited to provide our members with a series of unforgettable socials. Starting off in the summer of 2018 with inter-society socials and the brand new ‘YLS Cruise on the Ouse,’ sponsored by Norton Rose Fulbright, our members will never be short of something to do. Keep an eye out for new inter-city social and career trips, a Freshers Formal, our renowned Careers Dinner, and some events with a distinctly international element.
Employability is the Law Society’s main aim: we equip our members, law and non-law, with the knowledge and skills to become barristers, solicitors and legal academics. Fundamental to that is the new ‘YLS Application Acceleration Program,’ delivered by successful students and professionals, designed to bring members from Freshers Week to successful applicant as quickly as possible. This is facilitated by our strong links with a wide variety of law firms and barrister’s chambers, which has contributed to the Society’s proven history of successfully helping students into a wide range of careers. Our partners range from regional firms to the City, and the Northern Circuit to the City’s sets. As part of the Society’s commitment to diversity and social mobility we are also extremely proud to work closely with Aspiring Solicitors.
Keep up-to-date with the Society by following us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn!
Please message us on Facebook, or email us at email@example.com!
Meeting Days, Times and Venue
We have a packed calendar for members available here! Click the plus button at the bottom right of the calendar here to add it to your own Calendar, and keep up to date with events as they're added!
- President: Adam Hill
- Vice President: Zayn Govani
- Treasurer: Senal Malaka Premarathna
- Secretary: Jack Manton
- Ordinary Officers: Rebecca-Jayne (R-J) Wilson and Kieran Donnelly
- Ebor Lex Editors-in-Chief: Paraskevi Tzouda
- Social Secretaries: Yasmin Chatterton and Lewis Barton
- Heads of Non Law Activities: Thomas Luck and Charlotte Kail
- Press and Publicity Officer: Nasreen Hago
- Head of Bar: Luke Walsh
- Master of Moots: Brandon Middleton
- Canadian Law Officer: Emily Brown
- Pro Bono Officer: Aliya Naser
- Ambassador for Aspiring Solicitors: Alex Stewart-Moreno
- Webmaster: Panos Papathanasiou
- Careers Secretary: Aishah Bashir
- Sports Secretaries: Megan Rafferty and Ikki Shafiq
- Careers Dinner Organiser: Kieran Persand
You can join this student group by buying one of the memberships below: