General Elections 2017
The UK 2017 General Election is the time where students and the rest of the UK get to vote and have their say on the future of the country. This election will decided the outcome of matters that will directly impact the lives of students in the UK.
A few key issues at stake for students in this General Election including:
- A once in a lifetime chance to vote for a Brexit that works for young people and students
- Sustainable provision of mental health services
- Adequate housing and social services
- Climate change
YUSU wants to help students stay informed, know their options and empower them to make the decisions that will shape our society in the coming years.
Over the coming weeks, student political societies, campus media, and academic groups will all be discussing the issues at heart of the 2017 General Election. It’s up to you if you want to engage in these debates and how you take other’s opinions on board. YUSU’s #WeAreYork campaign promotes respect to and from all students. With the election fast approaching, ensure your voice is heard in the 2017 election campaign.
Here are some of the events that we have coming up:
- Behind the Election headlines: Education, Bowland Auditorium Wednesday 17/05/2017 (Week 5) 13:00-14:00
- Behind the Election headlines: Economy and Voter Behaviour Wednesday 24 May, 12.00 - 13.00, Bowland Auditorium, Register for free tickets
- Register to Vote @ Courtyard, Monday 22/05/2017 (Week 6) 17:00 onwards
- Behind the Election headlines: Health, Wednesday 31 May 2017, 12.00-13.00, Berwick Saul Building, Register for free tickets
- York Inner and Outing Hustings, with the University of York and the GSA, Ron Cooke Hub, Wednesday 31st May 2017, 18:00 - 20:30, Register for free tickets
Make sure that you fill out our survey as well so we can ask MPs about the issues that are most important to you!